Where can a T1D seek help?
Dr. Anju Virmani, Senior Consultant Endocrinologist/ Diabetologist, Max, Pentamed & Rainbow Hospitals, Delhi. Compiled by: Dr. Anju Virmani and participants
Posted on May 06, 2022
Dr. Anju Virmani, Senior Consultant Endocrinologist/ Diabetologist, Max, Pentamed & Rainbow Hospitals, Delhi.
Compiled by: Dr. Anju Virmani and participants of batch-1 of the IDEAL program
Presented below are some organizations which help children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus in India.
- Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, Mumbai: www.jdfmumbai.org: Clinic in Andheri west with a full-fledged team of doctors, dietitians, counselors, and diabetes educators. Subsidized supplies are free to needy people. Wellness Wednesdays. Contact 022- 26352752, Vaishali Vakil 9223593908, Paras 9867255558
- JDPF Ahmedabad: Savita 7016387740 (Dr. Shalmi Mehta)
- Yog Dhyan Foundation (YDF), Delhi: NGO: Dr. Anil Vedwal: supplies free/ subsidized diabetes supplies and tests, eye test camps, providing chakkis for T1Ds with celiac disease, twice-weekly yoga classes, experienced parents teaching poorly controlled poor families.
- Friends of type 1 diabetes: Dr. Ganesh Jevalikar. Telegram app group, educational meetings, and sessions.
- Dr Meena Chhabra, Delhi: free insulin and tests, including POC A1c, school awareness programs, sponsoring school fees, helping with funds at the time of marriage, working with YDF to provide chakkis and self-employment options.
- Association for Children with Type 1 Diabetes (ACT1D), Chandigarh: www.ACTID.com
- Diabetic Child Society (DCS), Visakhapatnam: free insulin, glucometers, strips, lancets, syringes, doctors’ consultations, education, annual retinal examination. A1c once in 3 months. www.diabeticchildsociety.com Ms. Usha Raju 9949211022. Dr. Mythili 8912531869.
- Kudumbam: Dr. Meena Mohan, Coimbatore: type 1 WA group, free insulin, subsidized tests, pumps sponsored.
- Idhayangal Charitable Trust, Coimbatore: firstname.lastname@example.org, 8526421150, 9042858882, 9894948864.
- Tamil Nadu Type 1 foundation: Mr. Prashanth, Ms. Saranya 9962448099
- Friends Forever, Chennai: Dr. Mohan’s Hospital: treatment, glucometer, strips, AGP, insulin, and tests. Yearly checkup including all complications; insulin pump for few children: direct funds and Hinduja Foundation; WhatsApp group, support from Mr. Harsh Kohli, Mr. Prashanth, Ms. Lakshmi.
- Diabuddies of Karnataka: Dr. Shuchy Chugh
- Sweet 1 India, Bangalore: Dr. Shaila Bhattacharya
- KID Benevolent Fund, Bangalore: Karnataka Institute of Endocrinology & Research, Indiranagar, Bangalore: Dr. Santhosh Olety: free insulin, syringes, glucometers, strips, subsidized lab tests.
- Sweet Stars, Kerala: parents’ group: raise funds and supply necessities free for the needy.
- Mittayi Program, Kerala Govt: www.mittayi.org.
- More detailed list is at https://www.t1dfindia.org/community
- All India: 16 Govt sponsored health insurance schemes which you should know: https://www.turtlemint.com/government-insurance-schemeses/
- Supplies from Jan Aushadi Kendras much cheaper.
Posted in Living With Diabetes